Showing posts with label dead. Show all posts
Showing posts with label dead. Show all posts

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ryan Jenkins is Dead

ABC News is reporting that Ryan Jenkins, who was accused of killing swimsuit model Jasmine Fiore, has been found dead in Canada.

MISSING MODEL UPDATE

Canadian police said today they believe a reality TV contestant who fled after police tried to arrest him for killing his bikini- model wife in Southern California is in Canada.
Earlier in the day, the millionaire murder suspect, Ryan Jenkins, 32, was rumored to be somewhere on an island off Honduras by friends who noted his father had developed an island resort there.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police issued a statement at midday today that ````RCMP is now prepared to say that information believed to be credible suggests that Mr. Jenkins is in Canada.''
The Mounties issued a statement urging that Jenkins turn himself in ``in the interest of the safety of the Canadian public, the police and Ryan Jenkins.''
Earlier in the day, the suspect's father denied comment to reporters in Calgary when they asked him if he as been in touch with his fugitive son. Dan Jenkins, a successful architect, also owns a private airplane that returned to Canada just as his son fled U.S. police at the Canada-U.S. border and walked north into his homeland.
The RCMP said they are seeking a Canadian warrant to arrest Jenkins in connection with the beating, strangling and mutilating of 28-year-old Jasmine Fiore, a resident of the Fairfax District who was found dead last Saturday, stuffed in a suitcase in a trash bin in Buena Park.
The elder Jenkins said he has been advised by his lawyer not to comment, reported CTV, Canada's largest private broadcaster.
The Web site for the TMZ.com television show said the suspect's father had developed an island resort off the coast of Honduras, and that the father's private plane had returned to Canada just before the border incident. Former friends of the Jenkins family have also said they theorize that the murder suspect has fled to some island in Honduras.
Authorities said Fiore had been beaten and strangled, and her fingers and teeth had been removed. She was identified after a coroner found serial numbers on her breast implants.
Jenkins who is a former VH1 dating show contestant, and was charged Thursday with her murder. Last week he was chased by police boats at the U.S.- Canada border and was last spotted walking calmly into British Columbia.
On Aug. 13, the two had gone to San Diego for a charity poker tournament at the Hilton hotel, and had checked into the posh L'Auberge Del Mar Resort and Spa. There are conflicting reports if they are married, or if any marriage was annulled.
Security video showed Jenkins leaving the hotel alone the next morning, with a suitcase, and Buena Park police detectives went to the hotel on Monday and Wednesday, but a hotel manager said he did not believe she was killed there.
``We saw nothing unusual,'' said hotel manager Mike Slosser. ``We do 300, 400 guests a day, I mean, they were just as normal as anybody I've ever seen.''
However, at least one witness told news outlets he saw the two arguing during the poker tournament.
The witness, Sean Feald, told ABC7 that Fiore ``was obviously a very pretty woman, scantily dressed, easy to see out of a crowd.''
He said Fiore began to argue with and ``badger'' Jenkins, ``putting him down,'' and that she spent much of the night by herself.
He said she was ``texting some guy'' and ``probably did not want to be around (Jenkins) at that point in time, which makes sense, but I did see her a lot more by herself than with him.''
ABC7 reported that witnesses said the arguing continued when they returned to their hotel.
The two met in April in Las Vegas, where she was living at the time, and soon after they got married. But months later the marriage was annulled, according to her mother, Lisa Lepore.
Also in April, Jenkins was arrested in Las Vegas on suspicion of hitting Fiore in the arm, but they later began seeing each other again. He had also been convicted of assaulting a girlfriend in Canada in 2007 and was sentenced to 15 months probation.
Recently, Fiore had rekindled a romance with a former boyfriend, Robert Hasman, and investigators were looking into whether jealousy may have played a role in the slaying.
TMZ reported that last month, Fiore and Hasman had gone to Los Cabos, Mexico, together.
``This message goes out to the family, his mother and father, and to the friends that are helping him try to leave this country,'' Hasman said Thursday ``Ryan Jenkins is an animal. What he has done to Jasmine is unspeakable.''
Jenkins reported Fiore missing last Saturday night, telling investigators that she left their Fairfax Village home in the 800 block of Edinburgh Avenue, near Melrose Avenue, about 8:30 p.m. Friday, police said.
A man searching for recyclables found Fiore's badly beaten, nude body inside a large, gray, blood-stained suitcase in a trash bin in Buena Park about 7 a.m. Saturday.
The coroner put her time of death a few hours before the body was found, according to police.
Early Thursday, authorities in Washington state said a man matching Jenkins' description was seen boarding a boat bound for a remote area where people can walk across the Canadian border. The boat, which belongs to Jenkins, was later found abandoned in Point Roberts, Wash., near British Columbia.
Jenkins' black BMW X5 SUV and an empty boat trailer were also found in nearby Blaine, Wash. Authorities are still looking for Fiore's white Mercedes- Benz CLS 550.
Chief Investigator Tom Hession of the U.S. Marshals Service said that although there was no official confirmation that the suspect was in Canada, local officials were preparing paperwork to issue an arrest warrant there, and warned that anyone assisting Jenkins could be charged with aiding, abetting and harboring a fugitive

THIS IS FROM A CITY NEWS SERVICE ARTICLE

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Would you DIE for an iPhone?

GUANGZHOU, China (AP) -- An employee at a factory that makes iPhones in China killed himself after a prototype went missing, and Apple Inc. responded Wednesday by saying its suppliers are required to treat workers with dignity and respect.
The dead worker, Sun Danyong, 25, worked in product communications at Foxconn Technology Group, a Taiwanese firm that makes many Apple products at a massive factory in the southern city of Shenzhen, near Hong Kong.
Although Apple and Foxconn have confirmed Sun's suicide, they have not provided details about the circumstances, which have been reported by the state-run Southern Metropolis Daily, one of the region's most popular papers.
There's tremendous pressure on employees dealing with Apple's new products to maintain a high-level secrecy over the gadgets, traditionally launched amid great suspense and a big marketing buzz. Apple is also a constant target of prying journalists, rabidly faithful customers and competitors who make great efforts to try to steal a peek at its latest technology.
Sun was responsible for sending iPhone prototypes to Apple, and on July 13 he reported that he was missing one of the 16 fourth-generation units in his possession, the newspaper reported. His friends said company security guards searched his apartment, detained him and beat him, the paper reported.
In the early morning of July 16, Sun jumped from the 12th floor of his apartment building, the paper said.
Jill Tan, an Apple spokeswoman in Hong Kong, issued only a brief statement about the incident.
"We are saddened by the tragic loss of this young employee, and we are awaiting results of the investigations into his death," Tan said. "We require our suppliers to treat all workers with dignity and respect."
The hot-selling iPhone has helped make Apple immune to the global recession. On Tuesday, the Cupertino, California-based company said its earnings jumped 15 percent in the third quarter -- growth propelled by laptop and iPhone sales.
More than 5.2 million iPhones were sold in the third quarter -- seven times what it sold at the same time last year -- and the spike in sales was partly because of a newly released version of the device, the company said.
One of Apple's most important manufacturing partners has long been Foxconn, owned by Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. -- the world's biggest contract manufacturer of electronics. The corporate behemoth has also produced computers for Hewlett-Packard Co., PlayStation game consoles for Sony Corp. and mobile phones for Nokia Corp.
Foxconn said in a statement its security chief has been suspended and turned over to the police.
The security official, Gu Qinming, was quoted by the Southern Metropolis Daily as saying he never hit Sun. Gu reportedly said after three security personnel searched Sun's apartment and did not find the phone, the employee was ordered to go to Gu's office on July 15.
The security chief said he didn't think Sun was being truthful about the phone, the paper reported.
"I got a bit agitated. I pointed my finger at him and said that he was trying to shift the blame," Gu was quoted as saying.
He added, "I was a little angry and I pulled his right shoulder once to get him to tell me what happened. It (the beating) couldn't have happened," the paper reported.
Local police declined to respond to questions from The Associated Press.
Foxconn executive Li Jinming said in a statement that Sun's death showed the company needed to do a better job helping its employees with psychological pressures.
"Sun Danyong graduated from a good school. He joined the company in 2008. He had an extremely bright future. The group and I feel deep pain and regret when a young person dies like this."

THIS IS FROM AN AP ARTICLE